Antonio Tajani has been named president of the European Parliament following a final face-off with Gianni Pittella (S&D, IT).
After three rounds of voting, none of the six candidates won an absolute majority of the votes. After a fourth round, Tajani led with 351 votes. Pittella had 282 votes.
In every voting session, Tajani maintained the lead position with Pittella in second place.
Every candidate gave a three-minute speech detailing how he or she intended to lead Parliament during their 2.5-year term. One candidate, Guy Verhofstadt, withdrew from the race before voting began.
Organizations in this Story
Want to get notified whenever we write about European Parliament ?
Next time we write about European Parliament, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- INTERNATIONAL MONERTARY FUND: IMF and Ukrainian Authorities Reach Staff Level Agreement on a New Stand-By Arrangement to Help to Address COVID-19 Pandemic
- EURASIAN DEVELOPMENT BANK: Entrepreneurs of the EAEU Member States will receive consolidated financial and non-financial assistance for the implementation of investment projects with an integration effect
- EUROPEAN INVESTMENT BANK: EIB reaffirms commitment to a European battery industry to boost green recovery
- ASIAN DEVELOPMENT BANK: ADB Governors Approve Corporate Financial Matters in First Virtual Annual Meeting
- ANELIK BANK - ARMENIA: IDBank extends credit leave until June 1
- ARDSHININVESTBANK - ARMENIA: Ardshinbank is the "Best Bank of the Year" in Armenia according to "GLOBAL FINANCE"
- CENTRAL BANK OF AZERBIJAN: On the results of the deposit auction on raising funds by the Central Bank
- EURASIAN DEVELOPMENT BANK: EDB and the Russian Export Center launch a support program for enterprises of the Bank's countries
- ARIZONA FARM BUREAU: USDA Opens Proposal Period for Farmers to Families Food Box Program
- INTERNATIONAL MONERTARY FUND: Statement by IMF Managing Director Kristalina Georgieva on Egypt