Antonio Tajani has been named president of the European Parliament following a final face-off with Gianni Pittella (S&D, IT).
After three rounds of voting, none of the six candidates won an absolute majority of the votes. After a fourth round, Tajani led with 351 votes. Pittella had 282 votes.
In every voting session, Tajani maintained the lead position with Pittella in second place.
Every candidate gave a three-minute speech detailing how he or she intended to lead Parliament during their 2.5-year term. One candidate, Guy Verhofstadt, withdrew from the race before voting began.
Organizations in this Story
Want to get notified whenever we write about European Parliament ?
Next time we write about European Parliament, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- NATIONAL BANK OF UKRAINE: Speech by NBU Governor Yakiv Smolii at a press briefing on monetary policy
- NATIONAL BANK OF TAJIKISTAN: National Bank of Tajikistan and International Monetary Fund have considered cooperation issues
- PROMSVYZABANK - RUSSIA: Promsvyazbank awarded the winners of the national prize "Business Success"
- RAIFFESISENBANK - RUSSIA: Amendment of the “General Terms and Conditions of Servicing Accounts, Deposits and Consumer Loans”
- NATIONAL BANK OF UKRAINE: NBU Launches Economic Express Regional Project in Zhytomyr
- EUROPEAN INVESTMENT BANK: EUR 1.9 billion EIB Group backing for private sector, energy and urban investment across Greece
- HSBC - GEORGIA: Technology targets financial crime
- EUROPEAN INVESTMENT BANK: More European funds available to support energy efficiency in residential buildings
- ASIAN DEVELOPMENT BANK: Green and Blue Finance Will Help Bridge Infrastructure Investment Gap in Southeast Asia
- INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND: World Bank and IMF Officials Visit Morocco to Prepare 2021 Annual Meetings in Marrakech