Antonio Tajani has been named president of the European Parliament following a final face-off with Gianni Pittella (S&D, IT).
After three rounds of voting, none of the six candidates won an absolute majority of the votes. After a fourth round, Tajani led with 351 votes. Pittella had 282 votes.
In every voting session, Tajani maintained the lead position with Pittella in second place.
Every candidate gave a three-minute speech detailing how he or she intended to lead Parliament during their 2.5-year term. One candidate, Guy Verhofstadt, withdrew from the race before voting began.
Organizations in this Story
Want to get notified whenever we write about European Parliament ?
Next time we write about European Parliament, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- ANELIK BANK - ARMENIA: IDBank has a new board chairman
- ABN AMRO SERVICES COMPANY: ABN AMRO to make more sustainability information available to investors
- CENTRAL BANK OF AZERBIJAN: The Central Bank trained primary school teachers as a pilot project
- BELARUS MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS: Belarusian Foreign Ministry hosts a round table on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the modern Belarusian diplomatic service
- ARMECONOMBANK - ARMENIA: Armeconombank and singapore-Based EFA Financial Institutions Debt Fund PTE. LTD. Investment Company Signed a Loan Agreement
- ASIAN DEVELOPMENT BANK: ADB Sends Condolences to Indonesia in Wake of Tsunami Disaster
- ARDSHININVESTMENTBANK - ARMENIA: Ardshinbank announces New Year deposit
- AG BANK: Happy birthday, Mr. President!
- BASIS BANK - GEORGIA: Hurry up! The action started on mortgage loans in GEL!
- BALTIC INTERNATIONAL BANK - UKRAINE: Opening hours for the Christmas holidays