During the annual meeting of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD), Professor of Government at Georgetown Thane Gustafson spoke about Ukrainian energy security, the EBRD reported on Monday.
A large factor, he states, is Ukraine's reliance on gas from other countries, due to the fact that Ukraine does not produce enough natural gas to serve itself. The country also has a greater amount of transit than Russia does.
"There is less reliance on Russian transit going through Ukraine," Gustafson said. "The Russians use other pipelines now, and the Ukrainians themselves now have more options for their own gas supply. Add those things together, and there is good news down the road. Maybe five years from now, 10 years from now, Ukraine will be much more secure on the energy front."
He also states that this issue will resolve itself as the Ukrainian economy develops and evolves to surpass outdated industry from the Soviet Union time period.
Organizations in this Story
Want to get notified whenever we write about European Bank for Reconstruction and Development ?
Next time we write about European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- ARDSHININVESTBANK - ARMENIA: Ardshinbank and Black Sea Trade and Development Bank sign $ 20 million loan agreement
- ANELIK BANK - ARMENIA: Message from Mher Abrahamyan, Chairman of IDBank's Board of Directors, to clients
- ARMECONOMBANK - ARMENIA: Armeconombank applies to its clients
- ARMBUSINESSBANK - ARMENIA: ARMBUSINESSBANK Announces Deferred Loan Repayments
- ACBA-CREDIT AGRICOLE BANK: About loans: ACBA-Credit Agricole Bank
- ANELIK BANK - ARMENIA: IDBank customers can receive their money transfers without visiting the Bank
- EURASIAN DEVELOPMENT BANK: Amount on settlement and deposit accounts in EDB exceeded $ 440 million
- ASIAN DEVELOPMENT BANK: Staff at ADB Headquarters to Temporarily Work from Home
- RAIFFESISENBANK - RUSSIA: Raiffeisenbank bought a domain in anticipation of the launch of a new product
- CARTUBANK - GEORGIA: Additional privileges for Visa Infinite card holders