The Belarus government and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) reached an agreement on Wednesday to privatize Belinvestbank.
A memorandum of understanding was signed between EBRD First Vice President Phil Bennett and Belarus Deputy Prime Minister Vladimir Semashko saying both entities would prepare for the sale of the state's stake in the bank by 2020.
"The signing of the agreement is a highly promising breakthrough and a successful outcome of the discussions I started with President Lukashenko back in February," EBRD President Sir Suma Chakrabarti said. "Implementation of the agreement could unlock huge potential by spurring the development of the country’s private sector.”
Belinvestbank is the country's fourth largest bank, according to the EBRD. Approximately 65 percent of banks in Belarus are owned by the government.
The EBRD will make pre-privatization funding available once conditions and goals are met on the part of the government so that the bank's corporate governance is free from political influence.
- MINISTRY OF FINANCE OF GEORGIA: The European Code of Customs Code will be launched in Georgia
- MINISTRY OF FINANCE OF UKRAINE: Ministry of Finance launches second module of "E-Data" project - open "Budget for citizens"
- EUROPEAN INVESTMENT BANK: Investment Plan for Europe: the EIB and Grifols sign a new loan agreement to advance research on rare and chronic diseases
- EURASIAN DEVELOPMENT BANK: The Eurasian Development Bank and Kazyna Capital Management signed an agreement on cooperation
- BANK ZENIT - RUSSIA: Banking Group ZENIT announced its financial results under IFRS for the six months of 2018
- BNP PARIBAS - UKRAINE: UKRSIBBANK Remotely Refines its Personal Data
- BANK OF GEORGIA: With the general partnership of the Bank of Georgia, the traditional horse racing "Baccharo Cup 2018" was held to popularize the resort Bakhmaro
- ASIAN DEVELOPMENT BANK: Philippine PPP Policy Gets a Boost from ADB's $300 Million Loan
- AG BANK: AGBank congratulates the people of Azerbaijan with the state attribute on the 26th anniversary of manat!
- ABN AMRO SERVICES COMPANY: New ABN AMRO campaign highlights sustainable business