Russia's VTB Bank recently responded to the central bank's move on Monday to amend the parameters of its currency intervention mechanism to further enhance the flexibility of the ruble, saying that the bank is edging closer to a floating rate.
The floating operational band was widened from seven rubles to nine rubles, while intervention in sub-bands were essentially eliminated, according to VTB.
In addition, the volume of interventions that lead to a five-kopeck band shift dropped from $1 billion to $350 million, the lowest pre-March level.
"The [Central Bank of Russia] seems keen to time this step during a low (holiday) season so as not to distort market trading, and the initial reaction is indeed rather muted," VTB Capital analysts Vladimir Kolychev and Daria Isakova said. "RUBBASK has been trading in an intervention-neutral zone for more than 3 months (barring MoF purchases) and overall seems to have found a new equilibrium (which we believe is c.35-36) without CBR interventions."
The widening of the non-intervention zone should be neutral for the ruble, the analysts said.
"We believe the level (corridor)-based intervention mechanism by design welcomes unnecessary speculative activity and ultimately the CBR is likely to abandon it and switch to a dirty float regime with interventions triggered mainly by the volatility and financial stability considerations," Kolychev and Isakova said.
At the same time, according to the analysts, should the ruble come under major pressure, the CBT may raise rates to alleviate inflationary risks.
- National Bank of Ukraine removes restrictions on foreign-currency transactions, investment metals
- Black Sea Trade & Development Bank visits Azerbaijan to boost business relationships
- VTB Bank finances three new planes for SunExpress airline
- National Bank of Ukraine makes it easier for businesses to invest abroad
- National Bank of Ukraine eases lending regulations for deposit guarantee funds to other banks
- Black Sea Trade and Development Bank, Russian Federal Corp. for SMEs support business growth
- Oleg Demidov named commercial director for Rosbank Factoring
- Eurasian Development Bank sells bonds on Kazakhstan Stock Exchange
- EY World Entrepreneur of the Year event to name world's top entrepreneur
- ACBA-CREDIT AGRICOLE, Microsoft parter for Armenian digital business technology seminar