Proposals for the development of a retail chain in Belarus set forth by the chairman of the board of Tabak Invest--Pavel Topuzidis--were backed by Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko on Tuesday.
In expressing his support, however, Lukashenko also warned of the danger that such a chain could infringe on the operation of smaller neighborhood retailers, BelTA reports.
"I have received your proposals regarding the construction of an entire system of enterprises in Belarus to service our population," Lukashenko said, according to BelTA. "I don't see any major problems with what you are suggesting. I think that normal, not small and not large but average retail enterprises, one can even say compact ones, should be developed in Belarus particularly in view of competition considerations. I am rather ready to agree to it."
Tabak Invest proposed the creation of up to 130 shopping centers across Belarus, including several major locations.
"We could use more investments and investments from citizens of Belarus at that - the people, who live here, earn money and try to expand their business," Lukashenko said, BelTA reports. "I welcome it and you know it. We talked about it a long time ago. It is good that you deliver on your promises."
- National Bank of Ukraine removes restrictions on foreign-currency transactions, investment metals
- Black Sea Trade & Development Bank visits Azerbaijan to boost business relationships
- VTB Bank finances three new planes for SunExpress airline
- National Bank of Ukraine makes it easier for businesses to invest abroad
- National Bank of Ukraine eases lending regulations for deposit guarantee funds to other banks
- Black Sea Trade and Development Bank, Russian Federal Corp. for SMEs support business growth
- Oleg Demidov named commercial director for Rosbank Factoring
- Eurasian Development Bank sells bonds on Kazakhstan Stock Exchange
- EY World Entrepreneur of the Year event to name world's top entrepreneur
- ACBA-CREDIT AGRICOLE, Microsoft parter for Armenian digital business technology seminar