The Asian Development Bank announced on Tuesday that it has approved a $300 million loan to upgrade Uzbekistan's Takhiatash thermal power plan in order to meet the country's growing demand for electricity.
"Karakalpakstan and Khorezm regions are expecting electricity demand to grow at double the rate of the forecasted national average," Rune Stroem, the director of the energy division of the ADB's Central and West Asia department, said. "Reliable power supply is essential to meet the residential demand and for future industrial development and growth.This loan will help finance modern generating units to increase the reliability of power supply, save energy, and cut greenhouse gas emissions."
Uzbekistan's economy has grown by more than eight percent per year on average from 2007-2013, but aging power infrastructure dating back to the Soviet era has limited its ability to accommodate the demand for power.
The project will involve the construction of two new energy-efficient combined-cycle gas turbines of up to 280 megawatts each and the decommissioning of three existing turbine units.
It will also support staff training and other assistance for Uzbekenergo, the state-owned power utility, which needs to modernize its management and information technology systems. The project is expected to take six years, with a projected completion date of October 2020.
- ARDSHININVESTBANK - ARMENIA: Ardshinbank and Black Sea Trade and Development Bank sign $ 20 million loan agreement
- ANELIK BANK - ARMENIA: Message from Mher Abrahamyan, Chairman of IDBank's Board of Directors, to clients
- ARMECONOMBANK - ARMENIA: Armeconombank applies to its clients
- ARMBUSINESSBANK - ARMENIA: ARMBUSINESSBANK Announces Deferred Loan Repayments
- ACBA-CREDIT AGRICOLE BANK: About loans: ACBA-Credit Agricole Bank
- ANELIK BANK - ARMENIA: IDBank customers can receive their money transfers without visiting the Bank
- EURASIAN DEVELOPMENT BANK: Amount on settlement and deposit accounts in EDB exceeded $ 440 million
- ASIAN DEVELOPMENT BANK: Staff at ADB Headquarters to Temporarily Work from Home
- RAIFFESISENBANK - RUSSIA: Raiffeisenbank bought a domain in anticipation of the launch of a new product
- CARTUBANK - GEORGIA: Additional privileges for Visa Infinite card holders