The Asian Development Bank announced on Tuesday that it has approved a $300 million loan to upgrade Uzbekistan's Takhiatash thermal power plan in order to meet the country's growing demand for electricity.
"Karakalpakstan and Khorezm regions are expecting electricity demand to grow at double the rate of the forecasted national average," Rune Stroem, the director of the energy division of the ADB's Central and West Asia department, said. "Reliable power supply is essential to meet the residential demand and for future industrial development and growth.This loan will help finance modern generating units to increase the reliability of power supply, save energy, and cut greenhouse gas emissions."
Uzbekistan's economy has grown by more than eight percent per year on average from 2007-2013, but aging power infrastructure dating back to the Soviet era has limited its ability to accommodate the demand for power.
The project will involve the construction of two new energy-efficient combined-cycle gas turbines of up to 280 megawatts each and the decommissioning of three existing turbine units.
It will also support staff training and other assistance for Uzbekenergo, the state-owned power utility, which needs to modernize its management and information technology systems. The project is expected to take six years, with a projected completion date of October 2020.
- BNP PARIBAS - UKRAINE: UKRSIBBANK Deifnes A Panel of Judges for the Climate Changemakers Awards
- ASIAN DEVELOPMENT BANK: ADB has allocated US $ 78 million to improve sections of regional roads in the Kyrgyz Republic
- ARMECONOMBANK - ARMENIA: Armeconombank Participates in Expo Dedicated to "International Day of Savings"
- ARMSWISSBANK - ARMENIA: ARMSWISSBANK CJSC Made a Payment of AMSWISB23ER3 Corporate Coupon Bond
- ANELIK BANK - ARMENIA: IDBank will pay 50 children for rehabilitation courses
- AMERICAN CHAMBER OF COMMERCE IN KAZAKHSTAN: International Centre for Parliamentary Studies: Strategic Management and Leadership programme - 4th - 8th March 2019 | London, UK
- AG BANK: AGBank has prepared 2 new campaigns for its valuable customers
- THE WORLD BANK: Jobs of the future require more investment in people
- VTB BANK - ARMENIA: VTB acquires Sarovbusinessbank
- THE WORLD BANK: Sri Lanka Has the Potential to More Than Double Its Exports to South Asia