Elvira Nabiullina, the head of Russia's Central Bank, recently announced a delay in the decision to select a company to create Russia's new national payment system.
The two week delay applied to a law signed by President Vladimir Putin in May calling for the creation of a national payment system following Visa and MasterCard's decisions to stop servicing two Russian banks blacklisted by the U.S. in response to the annexation of Crimea, The Moscow Times reports.
Two potential payment systems have been put forward--the Universal Electronic Card (UEC) developed by Sberbank or the Golden Crown money transfer system currently used by more than 40,000 branches in Russia, the CIS and other nations.
The date for a decision on the matter was originally set for July 1, but the decision will now be pushed to mid-July, according to The Moscow Times.
German Gref, the head of Sberbank, said this week that the bank should develop the UEC system even if it is not chosen as the national payment system, according to Gazeta.ru, The Moscow Times reports.
Gref said online payment systems will be the bank's main competitors in the future.
- ARDSHININVESTBANK - ARMENIA: Ardshinbank and Black Sea Trade and Development Bank sign $ 20 million loan agreement
- ANELIK BANK - ARMENIA: Message from Mher Abrahamyan, Chairman of IDBank's Board of Directors, to clients
- ARMECONOMBANK - ARMENIA: Armeconombank applies to its clients
- ARMBUSINESSBANK - ARMENIA: ARMBUSINESSBANK Announces Deferred Loan Repayments
- ACBA-CREDIT AGRICOLE BANK: About loans: ACBA-Credit Agricole Bank
- ANELIK BANK - ARMENIA: IDBank customers can receive their money transfers without visiting the Bank
- EURASIAN DEVELOPMENT BANK: Amount on settlement and deposit accounts in EDB exceeded $ 440 million
- ASIAN DEVELOPMENT BANK: Staff at ADB Headquarters to Temporarily Work from Home
- RAIFFESISENBANK - RUSSIA: Raiffeisenbank bought a domain in anticipation of the launch of a new product
- CARTUBANK - GEORGIA: Additional privileges for Visa Infinite card holders