The Russian Federation's Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said on Tuesday that politics was not behind Russia's plans for supplying natural gas to China.
Medvedev was confronted on the issue during an interview with Bloomberg TV. The reporter suggested that Russia's development in China was a response to Western Europe's threats to find alternative gas resources outside Russia, ITAR-TASS reports.
"I would not see politics behind this today, but I have no doubt whatsoever that the future belongs to the supply to the Asia-pacific region," Medvedev said, according to ITAR-TASS. "All this talk is so far abstract or politicized in nature. We don't attach major importance to this simply because there is no considerable alternative to Russia's supplies in view so far."
Medvedev was also asked about the possibility of Europe receiving supplies of liquefied natural gas from the U.S.
"Let them present their calculations," Medvedev said, ITAR-TASS reports. "As far as I understand, even if this is done in a quite balanced way, the price of LNG that is supplied from the United States would be by 40 percent higher than the price of Russian pipeline gas."
Medvedev said he values his European partners and believes that Russia has the ability to supply gas to both Europe and Asia.
- National Bank of Ukraine removes restrictions on foreign-currency transactions, investment metals
- Black Sea Trade & Development Bank visits Azerbaijan to boost business relationships
- VTB Bank finances three new planes for SunExpress airline
- National Bank of Ukraine makes it easier for businesses to invest abroad
- National Bank of Ukraine eases lending regulations for deposit guarantee funds to other banks
- Black Sea Trade and Development Bank, Russian Federal Corp. for SMEs support business growth
- Oleg Demidov named commercial director for Rosbank Factoring
- Eurasian Development Bank sells bonds on Kazakhstan Stock Exchange
- EY World Entrepreneur of the Year event to name world's top entrepreneur
- ACBA-CREDIT AGRICOLE, Microsoft parter for Armenian digital business technology seminar