The U.S. State Department said in the 2013 Country Reports on Terrorism released last week that Azerbaijan is continuing to strengthen its counter-terrorism efforts.
"Azerbaijan maintained its strong counter-terrorism cooperation with the United States and actively opposed terrorist organizations seeking to move people, money, and material through the Caucasus," the report said, according to AzerTAc.
The report also said Azerbaijan has continued to enforce counter-terrorism legislation adopted in 1999 that governs the investigation and prosecution of individuals who have committed or plan to commit terrorist acts.
"The Ministry of National Security is primarily responsible for combating terrorism, although the Ministry of Internal Affairs also plays a role as the country's primary law enforcement entity," the report said, AzerTAc reports. "Both ministries demonstrated the ability to detect and deter terrorist activities."
Additionally, the report said the officials from the State Department's Antiterrorism Assistant (ATA) program met with Azerbaijani officials to discuss the country's security needs and its ability to respond to acts of terrorism.
The two sides began developing a plan to continue training Azerbaijani security forces, and in late October, ATA delivered a Tactical Management of Special Events course to the Azerbaijani Presidential Protective Service unit, according to AzerTAc.
- National Bank of Ukraine removes restrictions on foreign-currency transactions, investment metals
- Black Sea Trade & Development Bank visits Azerbaijan to boost business relationships
- VTB Bank finances three new planes for SunExpress airline
- National Bank of Ukraine makes it easier for businesses to invest abroad
- National Bank of Ukraine eases lending regulations for deposit guarantee funds to other banks
- Black Sea Trade and Development Bank, Russian Federal Corp. for SMEs support business growth
- Oleg Demidov named commercial director for Rosbank Factoring
- Eurasian Development Bank sells bonds on Kazakhstan Stock Exchange
- EY World Entrepreneur of the Year event to name world's top entrepreneur
- ACBA-CREDIT AGRICOLE, Microsoft parter for Armenian digital business technology seminar