An International Monetary Fund (IMF) team visited Belarus on April 17-28 to hold the 2014 Article IV Consultation discussions with Belarusian authorities.
David Hofman, the head of the IMF mission in Belarus, led the team. Hofman met with Deputy Prime Minister Piotr Prokopovich, Chair of the Board of the National Bank of the Republic of Belarus (NBRB) Nadezhda Ermakova and Minister of the Economy Nikolai Snopkov. Other attendees included officials from the presidential administration and representatives from think tanks, businesses and the diplomatic community.
"Expansionary macroeconomic policies, slowing trade-partner growth, and falling competitiveness caused the current account deficit to reach 10 percent of (gross domestic product (GDP)) last year," Hofman said. "Meanwhile, output growth has remained low and inflation high. With high external debt payments this year, financing needs are large."
Hofman said the prospects for foreign funding are uncertain, particularly with the recent unrest in neighboring countries.
"Recognizing the challenges, the authorities have started to adjust policies," Hofman said. "In comparison to recent years, the emphasis on mandatory GDP and wage growth targets is being reduced. This is realistic and welcome."
Hofman said that decisive policy changes and deep structural reforms are needed for Belarus to achieve sustainable growth. He said the IMF will continue to work closely with Belarusian officials on these matters.
Organizations in this Story
Want to get notified whenever we write about International Monetary Fund ?
Next time we write about International Monetary Fund, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- THE BLACK SEA TRADE AND DEVELOPMENT BANK: BSTDB Acts as Anchor Investor in the First Corporate Bond Issue in Moldova
- GOVERNMENT OF ARMENIA: Deputy Prime Minister Tigran Avinyan Received the US Ambassador
- THE WORLD BANK: Urgent Structural Reforms Can Revive Pakistan’s Economic Growth
- TBC BANK - GEORGIA: TBC Bank's GEL 103 mln Loan Funded by FMO Won Best Local Currency Loan Award in CEE
- EUROPEAN INVESTMENT BANK: EIB to help protect 1,400km roads in rural Lao PDR from climate change
- CENTRAL BANK OF UZBEKISTAN: Republicanization of the Balance of the Republic of Uzbekistan, the position of investment position and the debts of debt
- THE BLACK SEA TRADE AND DEVELOPMENT BANK: New BSTDB Secretary General Assumes Duties
- AG BANK: 30% discount on "Royal Gallery Home Collection" stores with AGBank's cards!
- NATIONAL BANK OF UKRAINE: Speech by NBU Governor Yakiv Smolii at a press briefing on monetary policy
- NATIONAL BANK OF TAJIKISTAN: National Bank of Tajikistan and International Monetary Fund have considered cooperation issues