U.S. Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew announced the signing on Monday of a $1 billion loan guarantee agreement for Ukraine.
When the guarantee is completed, it will complement Kiev's International Monetary Fund reform program.
"The Ukrainian people have demonstrated tremendous courage as they have charted an independent course for their country and demanded a government that truly reflects the will of the people," Lew said.
Lew said the U.S. has been at the forefront of increasing international support for Ukraine while holding Russia accountable for violating Ukrainian sovereignty and destabilizing action.
"I would like to congratulate (Ukrainian Finance) Minister (Oleksandr) Shlapak on the progress he and his team have made in putting in place a comprehensive economic reform program together with the IMF," Lew said. "The United States very much wants to see Ukraine prosper, and we will continue to stand with the Ukrainian people as they move forward to realize their long-held aspirations."
The $1 billion loan guarantee is part of a U.S. bilateral assistance package that includes technical assistance to facilitate Ukraine's economic recovery.
Lew and Shlapak held a bilateral meeting prior to the announcement to discuss the ongoing situation in Ukraine and Ukraine's economic reform progress.
Organizations in this Story
Want to get notified whenever we write about International Monetary Fund ?
Next time we write about International Monetary Fund, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- National Bank of Ukraine removes restrictions on foreign-currency transactions, investment metals
- Black Sea Trade & Development Bank visits Azerbaijan to boost business relationships
- VTB Bank finances three new planes for SunExpress airline
- National Bank of Ukraine makes it easier for businesses to invest abroad
- National Bank of Ukraine eases lending regulations for deposit guarantee funds to other banks
- Black Sea Trade and Development Bank, Russian Federal Corp. for SMEs support business growth
- Oleg Demidov named commercial director for Rosbank Factoring
- Eurasian Development Bank sells bonds on Kazakhstan Stock Exchange
- EY World Entrepreneur of the Year event to name world's top entrepreneur
- ACBA-CREDIT AGRICOLE, Microsoft parter for Armenian digital business technology seminar