Azerbaijan's Ministry of Communications and High Technology recently issued a report that said the "National Strategy for Information Society Development in Azerbaijan for 2014-2020" will be implemented in two stages.
The national strategy, which President Ilham Aliyev approved on April 2, is meant to realize the economic potential of the country, use existing capabilities and improve governance methods in the modern technological age, AzerNews reports.
"The first phase will cover 2014-2017 and the second one will be implemented in 2018-2020," the report said, according to AzerNews. "Each stage will be accompanied by public programs."
The main objective of the strategy is to build an information society with effective use of its capabilities by citizens, society and the state for the sustainable socio-economic, cultural and economic development of Azerbaijan.
The strategy attaches significance to strengthening competitiveness and exports of products in the field of information and communications technology. It also highlights the development of high technologies including aerospace, nuclear, nanotechnology and biotechnology.
2013 was declared the "Year of ICT" in Azerbaijan, and it was marked with a series of events like the launching of the country's first telecommunications satellite, Azerspace-1. The year saw a 10.7 percent increase in ICT sector revenues to more than $2 million.
Azerbaijan had 70 percent internet penetration in 2013, maintaining its leading position among CIS and Central Asian countries, AzerNews reports.
- THE WORLD BANK: Jobs of the future require more investment in people
- VTB BANK - ARMENIA: VTB acquires Sarovbusinessbank
- THE WORLD BANK: Sri Lanka Has the Potential to More Than Double Its Exports to South Asia
- THE BLACK SEA TRADE AND DEVELOPMENT: BSTDB launched a call for expression of interest for website design services
- SEB - UKRAINE: SEB joins finance- and sustainability board
- SOBINBANK - RUSSIA: New features of the DBO Bank-Client
- ROSBANK - RUSSIA: Anastasia Bushueva Appointed Chief Accountant - Director of Accounting and Reporting Department of Rosbank
- NIKOIL - RUSSIA: Bank URALSIB entered the Top 10 media ratings of Russian banks in August
- MINISTRY OF FINANCE OF GEORGIA: The European Code of Customs Code will be launched in Georgia
- MINISTRY OF FINANCE OF UKRAINE: Ministry of Finance launches second module of "E-Data" project - open "Budget for citizens"