Azerbaijan's Ministry of Communications and High Technology recently issued a report that said the "National Strategy for Information Society Development in Azerbaijan for 2014-2020" will be implemented in two stages.
The national strategy, which President Ilham Aliyev approved on April 2, is meant to realize the economic potential of the country, use existing capabilities and improve governance methods in the modern technological age, AzerNews reports.
"The first phase will cover 2014-2017 and the second one will be implemented in 2018-2020," the report said, according to AzerNews. "Each stage will be accompanied by public programs."
The main objective of the strategy is to build an information society with effective use of its capabilities by citizens, society and the state for the sustainable socio-economic, cultural and economic development of Azerbaijan.
The strategy attaches significance to strengthening competitiveness and exports of products in the field of information and communications technology. It also highlights the development of high technologies including aerospace, nuclear, nanotechnology and biotechnology.
2013 was declared the "Year of ICT" in Azerbaijan, and it was marked with a series of events like the launching of the country's first telecommunications satellite, Azerspace-1. The year saw a 10.7 percent increase in ICT sector revenues to more than $2 million.
Azerbaijan had 70 percent internet penetration in 2013, maintaining its leading position among CIS and Central Asian countries, AzerNews reports.
- National Bank of Ukraine removes restrictions on foreign-currency transactions, investment metals
- Black Sea Trade & Development Bank visits Azerbaijan to boost business relationships
- VTB Bank finances three new planes for SunExpress airline
- National Bank of Ukraine makes it easier for businesses to invest abroad
- National Bank of Ukraine eases lending regulations for deposit guarantee funds to other banks
- Black Sea Trade and Development Bank, Russian Federal Corp. for SMEs support business growth
- Oleg Demidov named commercial director for Rosbank Factoring
- Eurasian Development Bank sells bonds on Kazakhstan Stock Exchange
- EY World Entrepreneur of the Year event to name world's top entrepreneur
- ACBA-CREDIT AGRICOLE, Microsoft parter for Armenian digital business technology seminar