U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said on Wednesday that the U.S. and E.U. must get their energy supplies from additional sources like Azerbaijan.
Kerry made the remarks on Wednesday during the U.S.-E.U. Energy Council Meeting in Brussels. He said the U.S. and the E.U. have a lot of work to do to diversify their energy supplies.
"Our agenda today, or at least part of it, is going to be to look at how we get more natural gas through what folks call the southern corridor, from Azerbaijan to Turkey and on to Europe," Kerry said.
Kerry said that other means of transportation like the construction of liquefied natural gas terminals and pipelines across Europe are being considered.
"But we, all of us, have to make certain that we are not dependent on one single source of energy," Kerry said.
The Southern Gas Corridor is a project that would allow Europe to diversify its sources of hydrocarbon supply and strengthen energy security and enable Azerbaijan to get a new market in Europe. Gas to be produced as part of the Shah Deniz-2 project is considered as the main source for the corridor. The gas produced will be exported to Turkey and European markets through the expansion of the South Caucasus Pipeline and construction of the Trans-Anatolian Gas Pipeline and the Trans-Adriatic Pipeline.
The final investment decision was made on the second phase of the Azerbaijani Shah Deniz offshore gas and condensate field's development on December 17.
- National Bank of Ukraine removes restrictions on foreign-currency transactions, investment metals
- Black Sea Trade & Development Bank visits Azerbaijan to boost business relationships
- VTB Bank finances three new planes for SunExpress airline
- National Bank of Ukraine makes it easier for businesses to invest abroad
- National Bank of Ukraine eases lending regulations for deposit guarantee funds to other banks
- Black Sea Trade and Development Bank, Russian Federal Corp. for SMEs support business growth
- Oleg Demidov named commercial director for Rosbank Factoring
- Eurasian Development Bank sells bonds on Kazakhstan Stock Exchange
- EY World Entrepreneur of the Year event to name world's top entrepreneur
- ACBA-CREDIT AGRICOLE, Microsoft parter for Armenian digital business technology seminar