Vladimir Kolychev and Daria Isakova, analysts for VTB Capital, said on Friday that they did not expect the positive economic data for February to be sustained in the next few months.
According to economic data published by Rosstat, Russia's seasonally adjusted unemployment rate dropped to 5.1 percent in February, though unemployment remained at 5.6 percent.
Real retail sales growth nearly doubled to 4.1 percent, primarily in the non-food component. Non-food retail sales posted a 13-month high annual gain of 6.4 percent, compared to 3.4 percent in January.
Investment in fixed capital remained under water but its decline halved to 3.5 percent year-over-year. Construction also lessened its drop to 2.4 percent year-over-year. In January, construction suffered a significant 5.4 percent year-over-year decline.
Russia's real wage growth increased to 6.0 percent year-over-year, up from the upwardly revised figure in January of 5.2 percent year-over-year.
Kolychev and Isakova said the numbers were encouraging.
"The raft of economic data for February has provided grounds to be upbeat, topping expectations across the board," Kolychev and Isakova said. "This can partly be attributed to Olympics spending, as well as households rushing to buy foreign cars and other imported goods before prices rise."
Despite the uptick, Kolychev and Isakova predicted more difficult times in Russia moving forward.
"Looking ahead, we do not expect this uptick to be sustained in the coming months, as the policy mix remains contractionary, while geopolitical tensions have dented business and consumer sentiment," Kolychev and Isakova said. "Policy-wise, the report will have likely provided additional comfort to the (Central Bank of Russia) in its wait-and-see stance."
- BTA BANK - KAZAKHASTAN: JSC BTA Bank rating assignment
- BNP PARIBAS - UKRAINE: UKRSIBBANK Deifnes A Panel of Judges for the Climate Changemakers Awards
- ASIAN DEVELOPMENT BANK: ADB has allocated US $ 78 million to improve sections of regional roads in the Kyrgyz Republic
- ARMECONOMBANK - ARMENIA: Armeconombank Participates in Expo Dedicated to "International Day of Savings"
- ARMSWISSBANK - ARMENIA: ARMSWISSBANK CJSC Made a Payment of AMSWISB23ER3 Corporate Coupon Bond
- ANELIK BANK - ARMENIA: IDBank will pay 50 children for rehabilitation courses
- AMERICAN CHAMBER OF COMMERCE IN KAZAKHSTAN: International Centre for Parliamentary Studies: Strategic Management and Leadership programme - 4th - 8th March 2019 | London, UK
- AG BANK: AGBank has prepared 2 new campaigns for its valuable customers
- THE WORLD BANK: Jobs of the future require more investment in people
- VTB BANK - ARMENIA: VTB acquires Sarovbusinessbank