A recent decision by the Crimean parliament will make the Russian ruble the second official currency of Crimea.
The decision marks the peninsula's first step in integrating economically with Russia since Crimean citizens voted to join Russia on Sunday, RT.com reports.
The hryvnia will be withdrawn in 2016. Until then, the two currencies will circulate alongside each other.
"The official currency unit of the Republic of Crimea is the Russian ruble, and until January 1, 2016, the Ukrainian hryvnia would be also the official currency," the Crimean parliament said, according to RT.com.
The Bank of Crimea will also exclusively carry out the organization and circulation of money in the Republic of Crimea as part of a temporary parliamentary-approved statute.
"The Bank of Crimea without any fees performs transactions with budget funds of the Republic of Crimea, as well as transactions regarding public debt management of the Republic of Crimea," Crimea's parliament said, according to RT.com.
The Bank of Crimea will work to provide stable currency circulation, develop and strengthen the banking system, and operate the payment system.
The Central Bank of Russia will also assist in fixing technical issues and providing mobile cash processing centers, which will provide humanitarian aid, pensions, grants and non-cash payments in rubles.
- FIRST UKRAINIAN BANK - UKRAINE: FUIB doubled sales of OSAGO insurance policies
- CENTRAL BANK OF AZERBIJAN: On holding auctions on attracting funds by the Central Bank
- UNICREDIT - AZERBAIJAN: UniCredit launches first ETFs combining factor strategy with ESG criteria on European equities
- THE BLACK SEA TRADE AND DEVELOPMENT BANK: AIIB, EBRD and BSTDB co-finance expansion of Turkey’s largest geothermal power plant
- GOVERNMENT OF BELARUS: Lukashenko: Belarus wants to deepen economic ties with Latvia
- GOVERNMENT OF ARMENIA: Open Government Partnership Initiative Working Group Holds Meeting
- EUROPEAN INVESTMENT BANK: France: Derichebourg receives EIB financing of 130 million euros under the Juncker Plan
- INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND: IMF Executive Board Completes the Second Review under the Extended Credit Facility Arrangement and Approves US$25 Million Disbursement to Burkina Faso
- ARMECONOMBANK - ARMENIA: Salary Card with 70% Discount
- ASIAN DEVELOPMENT BANK: ADB Sells 60 Million Lari Dual-Tranche Domestic Bonds in Georgia