Analysts with VTB Capital are predicting a recession in Russia during the second and third quarters of 2014, according to a report published on Monday.
Vladimir Kolychev and Daria Isakova, two analysts with VTB Capital, made the prediction as part of VTB's Russian Economy Monthly report. Kolychev and Isakova said that signs are pointing toward a recession and lowered their fiscal year 2014 growth outlook to 0 percent.
"There are many signs that the economy is now being hit by an uncertainty shock," Kolychev and Isakova said. "Faced with heightened uncertainty, firms are delaying investment and hiring, while households choose to postpone discretionary spending."
Kolychev and Isakova said domestic demand is set to halt as a result of the uncertainty shock and tighter financial conditions. They said downside risks could occur if uncertainty remains elevated or if severe sanctions are imposed.
They added that inflation has picked up since February as prices in the more exposed and least FX hedged categories adjusted upwards. A weaker ruble has yet to translate into the broader consumer basket and will push headline consumer price index to 6.5 to 7 percent in the next two to three months before disinflation hits with a vengeance in the second half of 2014.
"Tighter funding conditions on the external markets are likely to keep pressure on the ruble before geopolitical tensions ease," Kolychev and Isakova said.
If tensions calm, the report said, monetary easing is likely to gradually spread throughout the second half of 2014.
- ASIAN DEVELOPMENT BANK: ADB President Meets Prime Minister of Malaysia, Reaffirms Support
- ARDSHININVESTMENTBANK - ARMENIA: Ardshininbank's Noyemberyan branch was re-opened
- CENTRAL BANK OF AZERBIJAN: Information on currency auction
- BASIS BANK - GEORGIA: Basisbank's customer service space was opened at Mestia Justice House
- ASIAN DEVELOPMENT BANK: ADB, Fiji Confirm Partnership to Build Resilience Against Floods
- ATA BANK - AZERBAIJAN: "AtaBank" OJSC has started this campaign "Visa VISA, VİSA Al" earlier this year
- ACBA- CREDIT AGRICOLE BANK: 60th branch of ACBA-CREDIT AGRICOLE Bank launched
- BANK OF GEORGIA: For the first time in the Caucasus region, the Bank of Georgia's Visa card holders will make payments through Garmin hours
- ARDSHININVESTMENTBANK - ARMENIA: Ardshinbank continues to offer tools for reconstruction and refinancing of problematic loan commitments
- ANELIK BANK - ARMENIA: The results of the draw have been summed up at IDBank's Vanadzor branch