Analysts with VTB Capital are predicting a recession in Russia during the second and third quarters of 2014, according to a report published on Monday.
Vladimir Kolychev and Daria Isakova, two analysts with VTB Capital, made the prediction as part of VTB's Russian Economy Monthly report. Kolychev and Isakova said that signs are pointing toward a recession and lowered their fiscal year 2014 growth outlook to 0 percent.
"There are many signs that the economy is now being hit by an uncertainty shock," Kolychev and Isakova said. "Faced with heightened uncertainty, firms are delaying investment and hiring, while households choose to postpone discretionary spending."
Kolychev and Isakova said domestic demand is set to halt as a result of the uncertainty shock and tighter financial conditions. They said downside risks could occur if uncertainty remains elevated or if severe sanctions are imposed.
They added that inflation has picked up since February as prices in the more exposed and least FX hedged categories adjusted upwards. A weaker ruble has yet to translate into the broader consumer basket and will push headline consumer price index to 6.5 to 7 percent in the next two to three months before disinflation hits with a vengeance in the second half of 2014.
"Tighter funding conditions on the external markets are likely to keep pressure on the ruble before geopolitical tensions ease," Kolychev and Isakova said.
If tensions calm, the report said, monetary easing is likely to gradually spread throughout the second half of 2014.
- BELARUS MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS: Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs of Belarus E.Shestakov visits Colombia
- BASIS BANK - GEORGIA: Pleasant news for BasisBank visa card holders
- BTA BANK - KAZAKHASTAN: JSC BTA Bank rating assignment
- BNP PARIBAS - UKRAINE: UKRSIBBANK Deifnes A Panel of Judges for the Climate Changemakers Awards
- ASIAN DEVELOPMENT BANK: ADB has allocated US $ 78 million to improve sections of regional roads in the Kyrgyz Republic
- ARMECONOMBANK - ARMENIA: Armeconombank Participates in Expo Dedicated to "International Day of Savings"
- ARMSWISSBANK - ARMENIA: ARMSWISSBANK CJSC Made a Payment of AMSWISB23ER3 Corporate Coupon Bond
- ANELIK BANK - ARMENIA: IDBank will pay 50 children for rehabilitation courses
- AMERICAN CHAMBER OF COMMERCE IN KAZAKHSTAN: International Centre for Parliamentary Studies: Strategic Management and Leadership programme - 4th - 8th March 2019 | London, UK
- AG BANK: AGBank has prepared 2 new campaigns for its valuable customers