Fitch Ratings assessed Azerbaijan's banking sector as being broadly stable on March 6.
The report, though, also said that structural issues are weighing on the sector's asset quality, profitability and capitalization.
Banks in the country are now looking to refocus loan growth to the retail segment in order to compensate for legacy impairment problems in corporate portfolios and to improve returns on capital through wider margins. Azerbaijan's retail loan segment has been growing much faster than nominal household income growth, which is increasing personal debt burdens, according to the report.
Retail lending, according to Fitch, is growing at a reasonable rate while corporate lending is closer to saturation.
Fitch also reported that there may be a recovery in loan arrears based on reported asset quality metrics from a survey of Fitch-rated banks. The agency also said that underlying asset quality may be somewhat weaker than indicated by headline numbers due to untested newly-originated corporate lending, potentially large restructured loans, and other legacy assets and insufficient provisioning at some banks.
- ANELIK BANK - ARMENIA: IDBank has a new board chairman
- ABN AMRO SERVICES COMPANY: ABN AMRO to make more sustainability information available to investors
- CENTRAL BANK OF AZERBIJAN: The Central Bank trained primary school teachers as a pilot project
- BELARUS MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS: Belarusian Foreign Ministry hosts a round table on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the modern Belarusian diplomatic service
- ARMECONOMBANK - ARMENIA: Armeconombank and singapore-Based EFA Financial Institutions Debt Fund PTE. LTD. Investment Company Signed a Loan Agreement
- ASIAN DEVELOPMENT BANK: ADB Sends Condolences to Indonesia in Wake of Tsunami Disaster
- ARDSHININVESTMENTBANK - ARMENIA: Ardshinbank announces New Year deposit
- AG BANK: Happy birthday, Mr. President!
- BASIS BANK - GEORGIA: Hurry up! The action started on mortgage loans in GEL!
- BALTIC INTERNATIONAL BANK - UKRAINE: Opening hours for the Christmas holidays