Fitch Ratings assessed Azerbaijan's banking sector as being broadly stable on March 6.
The report, though, also said that structural issues are weighing on the sector's asset quality, profitability and capitalization.
Banks in the country are now looking to refocus loan growth to the retail segment in order to compensate for legacy impairment problems in corporate portfolios and to improve returns on capital through wider margins. Azerbaijan's retail loan segment has been growing much faster than nominal household income growth, which is increasing personal debt burdens, according to the report.
Retail lending, according to Fitch, is growing at a reasonable rate while corporate lending is closer to saturation.
Fitch also reported that there may be a recovery in loan arrears based on reported asset quality metrics from a survey of Fitch-rated banks. The agency also said that underlying asset quality may be somewhat weaker than indicated by headline numbers due to untested newly-originated corporate lending, potentially large restructured loans, and other legacy assets and insufficient provisioning at some banks.
- BALTIC INTERNATIONAL BANK - UKRAINE: Baltic International Bank’s Opening Hours on 18 November 2019
- BNP PARIBAS - UKRAINE: Break of UKRSIBBANK Payment Cards , ATMS and POS Terminal
- ANELIK BANK - ARMENIA: IDBank has 13 new employees
- ARMSWISSBANK - ARMENIA: ArmSwissBank Made Coupon Payments of Corporate Bonds
- BNP PARIBAS - UKRAINE: UKRSIBBANK Provides Seminars and Trainings within the Women in Business Program
- BALTIC INTERNATIONAL BANK - UKRAINE: Baltic International Bank supports Stockholm School of Economics in Riga
- EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT-NEWS: End-of-term assessment for the Juncker Commission
- EURASIAN DEVELOPMENT BANK: A meeting of the delegation of the Eurasian Fund for Stabilization and Development with the World Bank team
- NIKOIL - RUSSIA: URALSIB Bank took 15th place among banks in the RAEX-600 rating
- PRAVEX BAANK - UKRAINE: PRAVEX BANK joins EBRD Trade Facilitation Program to support foreign economic activity of Ukrainian exporters and importers