Elman Rustamov, the governor of the Central Bank of Azerbaijan, recently received a World Bank delegation headed by Carolina Sanchez, the sector manager for poverty reduction and economic management.
The participants discussed a new World Bank approach related to ending poverty and promoting inclusive economic growth and shared prosperity as well strategic proposals to be developed in the future.
Sanchez outlined new methodology to be introduced by the World Bank and related expectations for the country in attaining its economic goals.
According to the World Bank's report on Armenia, its economy has undergone a profound transformation since independence. Sustained growth, ambitious reforms, and external inflows of capital and remittances have created a market-oriented environment. The global financial crisis, however, had a major impact on Armenia.
The double digit growth rates of the pre-crisis period were replaced by a 4.3 percent rate after the crisis. Earlier estimates of strong growth in 2013 were moderated to just 3.2 percent. A reduction in private consumption and public investments led the decline.
The central challenge for the government now is to mitigate the economic and social impacts of the global crisis for the midterm, according to the World Bank, while continuing policy and institutional reforms essential for recovery and long-term development.
- National Bank of Ukraine removes restrictions on foreign-currency transactions, investment metals
- Black Sea Trade & Development Bank visits Azerbaijan to boost business relationships
- VTB Bank finances three new planes for SunExpress airline
- National Bank of Ukraine makes it easier for businesses to invest abroad
- National Bank of Ukraine eases lending regulations for deposit guarantee funds to other banks
- Black Sea Trade and Development Bank, Russian Federal Corp. for SMEs support business growth
- Oleg Demidov named commercial director for Rosbank Factoring
- Eurasian Development Bank sells bonds on Kazakhstan Stock Exchange
- EY World Entrepreneur of the Year event to name world's top entrepreneur
- ACBA-CREDIT AGRICOLE, Microsoft parter for Armenian digital business technology seminar