Turkish Prime Minister Recep Erdogan has reopened the debate on Turkey's membership in the Shanghai Cooperation Organization, urging Russian President Vladimir Putin to give Ankara a seat to avoid "the troubles" of accession to the European Union.
Responding to a question over Ukraine's recent decision to halt a trade pact with the EU at a joint press conference with Erdogan in St. Petersburg, Putin said the issue had no political dimension and that it would learn from Turkey's EU experiences, the Hurriyet Daily News reports.
"We will ask Turkey what we can do. Turkey has great experience in EU talks," Putin said, according to the Hurriyet Daily News.
SCO members include Russia, China, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan.
Erdogan said he had conveyed Turkey's membership request to Putin before.
Turkey became the first NATO member state to become a "dialogue partner" with the regional body - known as the Shanghai Five - in April. Turkey said the cooperation would strengthen its ties with the organization, primarily in the areas of the economy and transportation.
- ARDSHININVESTMENTBANK - ARMENIA: Ardshinbank continues to offer tools for reconstruction and refinancing of problematic loan commitments
- ANELIK BANK - ARMENIA: The results of the draw have been summed up at IDBank's Vanadzor branch
- THE BLACK SEA TRADE AND DEVELOPMENT BANK: BSTDB Acts as Anchor Investor in the First Corporate Bond Issue in Moldova
- GOVERNMENT OF ARMENIA: Deputy Prime Minister Tigran Avinyan Received the US Ambassador
- THE WORLD BANK: Urgent Structural Reforms Can Revive Pakistan’s Economic Growth
- TBC BANK - GEORGIA: TBC Bank's GEL 103 mln Loan Funded by FMO Won Best Local Currency Loan Award in CEE
- EUROPEAN INVESTMENT BANK: EIB to help protect 1,400km roads in rural Lao PDR from climate change
- CENTRAL BANK OF UZBEKISTAN: Republicanization of the Balance of the Republic of Uzbekistan, the position of investment position and the debts of debt
- THE BLACK SEA TRADE AND DEVELOPMENT BANK: New BSTDB Secretary General Assumes Duties
- AG BANK: 30% discount on "Royal Gallery Home Collection" stores with AGBank's cards!