Ilham Aliyev, the president of Azerbaijan, spoke on Monday at the opening of the Caspian International Oil & Gas Exhibition in Baku.
Aliyev said the country's 2.5 trillion cubic meters of proven natural gas reserves will play an important role in Europe's energy security.
"Azerbaijan used to be known as a country of oil," Aliyev said. "Now we are also known as a natural gas producer."
The largest natural gas field in Azerbaijan is the Shah Deniz field, which holds approximately 1.4 trillion cubic meters of natural gas, which is currently supplied to Azerbaijan, Georgia and Turkey. New drilling and pipeline projects are expected to help extract additional gas for export to European markets.
Turkey recently raised its shares in the Shah Deniz natural gas field from nine to 19 percent. It also increased its shares in the Trans Anatolia Natural Gas Pipeline (TANAP), which is the route by which Shah Deniz gas would be transported to Europe.
- ANELIK BANK - ARMENIA: The results of the draw have been summed up at IDBank's Vanadzor branch
- THE BLACK SEA TRADE AND DEVELOPMENT BANK: BSTDB Acts as Anchor Investor in the First Corporate Bond Issue in Moldova
- GOVERNMENT OF ARMENIA: Deputy Prime Minister Tigran Avinyan Received the US Ambassador
- THE WORLD BANK: Urgent Structural Reforms Can Revive Pakistan’s Economic Growth
- TBC BANK - GEORGIA: TBC Bank's GEL 103 mln Loan Funded by FMO Won Best Local Currency Loan Award in CEE
- EUROPEAN INVESTMENT BANK: EIB to help protect 1,400km roads in rural Lao PDR from climate change
- CENTRAL BANK OF UZBEKISTAN: Republicanization of the Balance of the Republic of Uzbekistan, the position of investment position and the debts of debt
- THE BLACK SEA TRADE AND DEVELOPMENT BANK: New BSTDB Secretary General Assumes Duties
- AG BANK: 30% discount on "Royal Gallery Home Collection" stores with AGBank's cards!
- NATIONAL BANK OF UKRAINE: Speech by NBU Governor Yakiv Smolii at a press briefing on monetary policy