Sen. Ben Cardin (D-Md.) and a U.S. congressional delegation recently held talks with Georgian leaders and representatives from the UNM opposition party in Tbilisi, Georgia.
The delegation, which will participate in the OSCE Parliamentary Assembly session in Baku, includes Sen. Tom Harkin (D-Iowa) and Reps. Robert Aderholt (R-Ala.), Phil Gingrey (R-Ga.), David Schweikert (R-Ariz.) and Adam Schiff (D-Calif.). The group met with Georgian President Giorgi Margvelashvili, Prime Minister Irakli Garibashvili and other government members, EurAsiaReview.com reports.
"We thought it was important to come to Georgia because of its importance to the United States and its importance to this region," Cardin said, according to EurAsiaReview.com. "In each of these meetings we stressed friendship between our two countries, the importance of bilateral relationship between our two countries and how we look forward to strengthening those ties. I must tell you we've been extremely impressed by the quality of the leadership in Georgia, their ability to transition from one government to another and... we are here shortly after the local elections--we congratulate the people of Georgia for their commitment to democracy and basic human rights."
In addition, Cardin reiterated the U.S.'s strong support for Georgia's territorial integrity and its European and Euro-Atlantic aspirations.
- National Bank of Ukraine removes restrictions on foreign-currency transactions, investment metals
- Black Sea Trade & Development Bank visits Azerbaijan to boost business relationships
- VTB Bank finances three new planes for SunExpress airline
- National Bank of Ukraine makes it easier for businesses to invest abroad
- National Bank of Ukraine eases lending regulations for deposit guarantee funds to other banks
- Black Sea Trade and Development Bank, Russian Federal Corp. for SMEs support business growth
- Oleg Demidov named commercial director for Rosbank Factoring
- Eurasian Development Bank sells bonds on Kazakhstan Stock Exchange
- EY World Entrepreneur of the Year event to name world's top entrepreneur
- ACBA-CREDIT AGRICOLE, Microsoft parter for Armenian digital business technology seminar