Azerbaijan's Ministry of Communications and High Technology recently issued a report that said the "National Strategy for Information Society Development in Azerbaijan for 2014-2020" will be implemented in two stages.
The national strategy, which President Ilham Aliyev approved on April 2, is meant to realize the economic potential of the country, use existing capabilities and improve governance methods in the modern technological age, AzerNews reports.
"The first phase will cover 2014-2017 and the second one will be implemented in 2018-2020," the report said, according to AzerNews. "Each stage will be accompanied by public programs."
The main objective of the strategy is to build an information society with effective use of its capabilities by citizens, society and the state for the sustainable socio-economic, cultural and economic development of Azerbaijan.
The strategy attaches significance to strengthening competitiveness and exports of products in the field of information and communications technology. It also highlights the development of high technologies including aerospace, nuclear, nanotechnology and biotechnology.
2013 was declared the "Year of ICT" in Azerbaijan, and it was marked with a series of events like the launching of the country's first telecommunications satellite, Azerspace-1. The year saw a 10.7 percent increase in ICT sector revenues to more than $2 million.
Azerbaijan had 70 percent internet penetration in 2013, maintaining its leading position among CIS and Central Asian countries, AzerNews reports.
- Amirbekyan of Anelik Bank wins TFP Trade Expert award
- UniCredit sells non-performing mortgage loans
- European Investment Bank lends millions to AccessBank to finance small businesses
- First Ukrainian International Bank among most transparent financial institutions in region, study says
- VTB Bank named best trade-finance bank in Russia by magazine
- AtaBank, Central Bank of Azerbaijan Republic host financial literacy event
- Richard de Keijzer named managing director for ABN AMRO Commercial Finance in the UK
- Galt & Taggart named Best Investment Bank in Georgia by Global Finance magazine
- Armeconombank customers can repay loans via Idram, EasyPay terminals
- Kapital Bank joins American Bankers Association