The World Economic Forum recently ranked Azerbaijan 77th among 138 benchmarked economies in its 2014 Global Enabling Trade Report.
The report's enabling trade index of 2014 contains four sub-indexes: market access, border administration, infrastructure and operating environment positions. The index ranked Azerbaijan 66th for market access, 94th for border administration, 45th for infrastructure and 58th for operating environment positions.
The report found that Azerbaijan's achievements in improving trade provide the country with a competitive advantage in several areas. Azerbaijan came in 39th in customs transparency index, 19th in ease of compliance with government regulation and 34th in openness to foreign participation index.
The country also came in 30th in ease of hiring foreign labor availability, 20th in business costs of crime and violence, 45th in quality of transport infrastructure, 46th in quality of air transportation infrastructure, 35th in quality of railroad infrastructure, 43rd in efficiency of transport mode change, 46th in information and communications technology use for business-to-business transactions and 50th in internet use for business-to-consumer transactions.
The 2014 report also showed that the Azerbaijani government needs to improve its competitive disadvantage by lifting existing import and export barriers.
The WEF's Global Enabling Trade Report is considered a key policy tool for governments to prepare ways to boost trade, enhance economic growth and generate jobs.
- National Bank of Ukraine removes restrictions on foreign-currency transactions, investment metals
- Black Sea Trade & Development Bank visits Azerbaijan to boost business relationships
- VTB Bank finances three new planes for SunExpress airline
- National Bank of Ukraine makes it easier for businesses to invest abroad
- National Bank of Ukraine eases lending regulations for deposit guarantee funds to other banks
- Black Sea Trade and Development Bank, Russian Federal Corp. for SMEs support business growth
- Oleg Demidov named commercial director for Rosbank Factoring
- Eurasian Development Bank sells bonds on Kazakhstan Stock Exchange
- EY World Entrepreneur of the Year event to name world's top entrepreneur
- ACBA-CREDIT AGRICOLE, Microsoft parter for Armenian digital business technology seminar