The Central Bank of Azerbaijan recently published a balance of payments that showed the country invested nearly $12 billion abroad in 2013.
Direct investments accounted for $1.478 billion, portfolio investments for $322.8 million and other investments for $9.959 billion, AzerNews reports.
The oil and gas sector received $1.039 billion of the direct investments, while $438.9 million was spent on other sectors. Other investments included $4.83 billion in trade loans and advances, $256 million in loans and advances, and $4.87 billion in deposits and cash.
The balance of payments for 2013 also showed that total foreign direct investments in Azerbaijan totaled $6.3 billion in 2013, 82.4 percent of which went to the oil and gas sector. These investments were used to finance projects by Shah Deniz and the Azerbaijan International Operating Company at the Azeri-Chirag-Gunashli block of fields.
Direct investments in the non-oil sector totaled $1.108 billion, accounting for 17.6 percent of the total volume of direct investments in Azerbaijan.
Azerbaijan's current account surplus amounted to $12.3 billion, down 17.22 percent from the same period in 2012.
The total foreign trade turnover in 2013 amounted to $42.9 billion, and the trade surplus totaled $20.6 billion, AzerNews reports.
- National Bank of Ukraine removes restrictions on foreign-currency transactions, investment metals
- Black Sea Trade & Development Bank visits Azerbaijan to boost business relationships
- VTB Bank finances three new planes for SunExpress airline
- National Bank of Ukraine makes it easier for businesses to invest abroad
- National Bank of Ukraine eases lending regulations for deposit guarantee funds to other banks
- Black Sea Trade and Development Bank, Russian Federal Corp. for SMEs support business growth
- Oleg Demidov named commercial director for Rosbank Factoring
- Eurasian Development Bank sells bonds on Kazakhstan Stock Exchange
- EY World Entrepreneur of the Year event to name world's top entrepreneur
- ACBA-CREDIT AGRICOLE, Microsoft parter for Armenian digital business technology seminar