The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) has developed new plans for the Azerbaijan economy, with specific efforts going toward promoting a market-oriented economy, diversifying and developing a sustainable financial sector, and improving the business environment.
The new draft strategy would operate between 2014 and 2017, Azernews reports.
The bank will be involved in such projects as hydrocarbon production and the introduction of best management practice.
"The involvement of the country in such strategically important projects as the Southern Gas Corridor will contribute to the diversification of export routes and energy security of Europe," the EBRD said, according to Azernews. "The government has made some improvements in tax administration with a view to both reducing tax compliance costs for businesses and increasing tax collection rates. The new Customs Code, which came into effect in January 2012, includes strengthened provisions in various areas that are expected to bring regulations into line with international standards (including verification of the country of origin, valuation methods, single window principle in customs administration, customs audit, and electronic submission of information on goods to the customs authorities)."
The document also referenced the recent launch of construction on the international port. It also detailed the improvement of energy efficiency in Azerbaijan and the country's involvement in the non-oil sector.
- Baltic International Bank launches investment packages
- Bank St. Petersburg hosts event for 10-year anniversary of its IPO
- European Investment Bank, ABN Amro sign agreement to support green shipping options
- AccessBank names new chairman of management board
- European Union environmental leaders aim to cut food waste in half by 2030
- ARMBUSINESSBANK hosts high-school students for lessons about banking
- Decreased inflation will lead to economic recovery, EDB report says
- Rosbank named global outperformer, market outperformer in finance magazine
- National Bank of Ukraine cuts key policy rate in effort to boost the economy
- Photo exhibition of flowers on display at UKRSIBBANK BNP bank