Moody's Investor Services recently said that Russian retail banks face a glut of bad loans after a four-year credit spree among consumers led to record post-Soviet era personal debt levels.
Consumer debt soared 51 percent to $800 million in the first nine months of the year, nearly double the amount during the same period in 2012, according to the latest central bank data, Bloomberg reports.
"The level of personal leverage was much lower in 2008 because there hadn't been such a burst of retail lending like we're seeing now," Eugene Tarzimanov, a senior analyst for Russian financial institutions at Moody's in Moscow, said, according to Bloomberg. "We still expect personal leverage to rise a bit more."
Central Bank Chairman Elvira Nabiullina told lawmakers in Moscow on Nov. 20 that retail lending may become a "threat to financial stability" instead of a stimulus for growth.
Home Credit & Finance analyst Stanislav Duzhinsky told Bloomberg that the pace of credit growth has slowed "significantly" since the central bank imposed higher capital adequacy requirements and lenders started using tougher assessment standards.
"Because the share of mortgages is less than 30 percent of the total retail portfolio, the credit burden on households will start to fall as current liabilities are repaid," Duzhinsky said, Bloomberg reports. "We expect positive changes as soon as next year."
- National Bank of Ukraine removes restrictions on foreign-currency transactions, investment metals
- Black Sea Trade & Development Bank visits Azerbaijan to boost business relationships
- VTB Bank finances three new planes for SunExpress airline
- National Bank of Ukraine makes it easier for businesses to invest abroad
- National Bank of Ukraine eases lending regulations for deposit guarantee funds to other banks
- Black Sea Trade and Development Bank, Russian Federal Corp. for SMEs support business growth
- Oleg Demidov named commercial director for Rosbank Factoring
- Eurasian Development Bank sells bonds on Kazakhstan Stock Exchange
- EY World Entrepreneur of the Year event to name world's top entrepreneur
- ACBA-CREDIT AGRICOLE, Microsoft parter for Armenian digital business technology seminar